View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #30
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Is this some desperate attempt at an analogy?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Huh? No - this actually happened, it is getting rapidly worse, and completely preventable. Ordered my dash cam and will be filming it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I responded to a post which responded to a previous post by comparing a car that stops a drunk to the original post about "a car that stops if someone has a cell phone and is sitting in the driver seat." I don't see anything in either mentioning a court hearing. Maybe I'm misreading it, but the posts suggests to me the possibility of manufacturing cars that stopped if a driver has a cell phone or could stop a drunk from driving--that all cars would have that feature built into them. The reason for that feature being the prevention of a driver from using the car, not because the car would be at fault for an accident if it didn't have the feature, but because the driver would be at fault, regardless of the model of the car. And so the driver would be limited, not the car. And that would not, by most, be considered a loss of freedom.

I fleshed out the comparison with guns in a similar situation in which guns had a built in feature: "Nor is there, in a corollary scenario re guns, a loss of freedom for law abiding citizens to buy a gun, even an AR15 type, if guns would not fire in the hands of repeat criminals." As in the car scenarios, all guns would be manufactured with this feature

In either the gun or car scenarios, I said it is "the individual, not the instrument" that is being prevented regardless of the model.
The court is the legal entity that determines if you need to blow into a tube to allow your ignition to start if you are a repeat offender / high risk DUI.

I agree with most of your premise

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
.it's unnerving when you are accustomed to making eye contact as it gives you an indication that they know you are there......
^^^^^ This

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: