View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Rebuilding 200 year old stairs

I reluctantly took on a job I just finished up consisting of 2 sets of stairs in an old house that was gutted, opened up with hidden LVL beams to make rooms larger like the kitchen and exposed the timber frame on the second floor. The house in on Main St in N. Easton down the street from Sea Dangles. They gutted the whole house but left the stairs for last it seems. They did not do me any favors with the front set of winders as they cut the posts off to get a tub upstairs, they were built with mortise and tenon with pegs so I had to leave the old stringers and what's left of the posts, Since it's all lead paint I just overlaid the risers and skirt with 1/4" maple faced MDF. Post were cut square and drilled and bolted, then I had to wrap them mitering pine around each one after blocking out where needed on the old, boy that was such a joy with all the cuts and figuring. The builder went and stained the tread so then I had to use tape on all my pencil lines just to see them for fitting the tread and drilling for balusters.

here are some shots of the old stairs, a set of winders in the front of the house and a set with a landing in the back of the house.

That middle shot shows that the top riser is actually what the stringer and post are hanging from, therefore it needs that radius as it is one wide board and needed to stay. All the nails were cut nails and lots of wooden pegs were used too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old winders tenon.jpg
Views:	896
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	66706   Click image for larger version

Name:	old winders top.jpg
Views:	882
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	66707   Click image for larger version

Name:	old winders.jpg
Views:	896
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	66708  

Last edited by Slipknot; 12-03-2019 at 05:47 PM..

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote