View Single Post
Old 03-29-2002, 01:55 PM   #44
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Question ...Whats your take on this???...

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS ???

....I was reading the "Regulations" on the taking of Herring/Alewives....it states when you take any Herring from fresh water, you have a bag limit, restricted days, restricted ways of catching the Herring and restricted times....but if you catch them in Saltwater, how do these regulations apply???.....

....This is quoted right out of the booklet published by the DEM...

"No person shall take more than twenty-four (24) alewive (Alosa pseudoharengus) or blueback herring (Alosa aestivalis) either singularly or in the aggregate from the fresh waters of the state in any 24-hour period. No person shall take any alewives or blueback herring from the freshwaters of the state without a valid freshwater fishing license. No person shall take any alewives or blueback herring from the freshwaters of the state on any Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday of any week.... The areas below each fish ladder where fishing will be permitted shall be designated with an official boundary marker or informational sign."

...Now looking at my diagram, how can they enforce these laws...if for one, your not fishing in "fresh" water, and your past their boundary marker???....

.....I proposed this question to a DEM officer today and he didn't have an answer for me....he said, "I don't make the rules, I just enforce them..."

...maybe one of you can shed some light on this for me....and make it understandable...

Last edited by bloocrab; 03-29-2002 at 01:58 PM..

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote