View Single Post
Old 04-15-2003, 10:51 AM   #20
Mr. Sandman

I have seen a lot of sailors using the patch on rough days. They claim it works but you may feel weird. (weird is better then sick IMO) I would see a doctor and get the patch if your really have a problem. I have only gotten sick a couple times in my life but I know how you feel, it really sucks. Here is what I do prior to a big fishing trip.

1) never booze the night prior to fishing...a hangover is not the way to start the fishing day.

2) get a good nights sleep

3) eat a good meal but don't pig out.

4) I like to drink a carbonated drink (coke) and let out a bletch now and then

5) I also like to eat tunafish on white toast while on board. (I don't know why but it makes me feel better) (My uncle use to like sardines and onion on pumpernickle but I could not go for it.)

6) Stay away from exhaust fumes. Esp diesel. You can get sick just from them.

7) Boats have a point about which they pitch, for most it is near amidships...find it and park yourself there. Avoid bow and stern.

8) Breath fresh air

9) avoid enclosed places

10) focus on the horizon

11) use those sea-legs

12) If you feel crappy try and go to sleep. (find a bunk near amidships...I use to crash on the flying bridge as a kid)

13) Don't volenteer to chum

14) If you smoke pot and you feel sick, this is a good time to do that (pot is (sometimes) given to cancer patients to handle vomiting from the Chemo drugs.) Consult your doctor...

15) Don't drink adult beverages while on board.

16) Keep your head out of the bildge (that is how I got sick... during a shark tourn. 30 miles off shore, the #1 bildge pump crapped out. Trying to repair it I had my head in there for about 30 minutes and it was really rough and I got pretty sick.)

17) take a dump prior to leaving the dock.

I also think that when it gets REALLY rough...fear takes over and you don't feel so sick anymore.

Thats all that come to mind now... or you could take up golf!

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 04-15-2003 at 10:56 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote