Thread: FACTS
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #12
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
Yeah but you wouldn't be aware of them unless you can understand English.
So the English language is the vehicle to carry one to the destination of enlightenment. Is it the case that English is a prerequisite for political awareness? So, only English speakers are aware of bigger issues. This is what you are explicitly implying is it not. I thought rationality and the desire to pursue knowledge and understanding are something we are all capable of, regardless of social constructions, language and cultural affiliation. Sure some shells are tougher to crush than others, but reason and the desire to pursue the human good of understanding is universal, all footed in a few undeniable natural laws. Immigrants have been coming to this country since its inception, that is what this country is, a country of immigrants. If it was so important that English be the official language it should have been done so a long time ago. The only difference now is that most our immigrants are no longer white Europeans, so you already know which feathers those are going to ruffle. I am not denying that the issue is complicated, but we should try to abstain from ignorant simplistic solutions like mandating English, and besides, down in Georgia they speak a variety of English I have trouble following anyway. American English, with its complement of colloquialisms and regional dialects is not the King's English. So whose English is going to be the official language? We are the greatest heterogeneous society to exist since Rome. We should appreciate that diverse beauty, not mandate conformity and aggrevate cultural strife. People should be able to do what they want, when they want and be able to say how they want it - provided it falls within the confines of civility and law. Your post is bordering along the lines of ignorance.