View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
1st there aren't that many ms13ers --- but since this is a hypothetical question.

You send out an agent(s) to get them. While the Trumpanists (i guess you are either an anti Trumper or the opposite) seem to believe the land that is being discussed is like Israel or Tijuana where you walk out of a house, walk 50 yards to the border and then another 50 yards to a house on the other side the truth is much different. Most of the land that Trump is talking about (I think since he changes his mind every day) is very rural (or even desert). That is why for many years people have died of thirst trying to get across the border.

If we were talking about putting a fence up in San Diego, I would have no problem with it. There has been a few miles of new fencing put up (and still being put up) in areas that have seen increased activity.

"Nearly every lawmaker who represents a district or state along the U.S.-Mexico border — including two Republicans — either opposes outright or more quietly declines to support President Donald Trump’s $5.7 billion request for a border wall, according to a survey conducted by POLITICO.

The dissenters include Texas Rep. Will Hurd, the only Republican House member who represents a border district, and Texas Sen. John Cornyn, who will accompany the president on Thursday. Cornyn dodged questions Wednesday about whether he backs Trump’s $5.7 billion demand.

“I support a solution to the problem,” Cornyn told reporters when asked specifically about the sum. “I think it’s going to be negotiated.”

Cornyn was more blunt Monday talking to Fox News. “Coming from Texas with a 1,200-mile common border with Mexico," he said, "the idea of a wall is somewhat off-putting to a lot of people.”

In a separate Fox News interview Tuesday, Cornyn said: "There is no one-size-fits-all prescription for the entire border. It's quite a diverse geography.”

POLITICO polled the offices of 17 Senate and House members who represent Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California about Trump’s $5.7 billion border barrier request. Only two — Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Martha McSally (R-Ariz.) — said they supported it.

In the House, eight of nine border lawmakers are Democrats. The Democratic members all told POLITICO they’re against the $5.7 billion request. Instead, they favor spending for increased border security technology, improved screening at ports of entry and more personnel to handle asylum processing.

Rep. Xochitl Torres Small, a newly elected Democrat who represents a New Mexico district with more than 175 miles of U.S.-Mexico border, opposes Trump’s request. She said a wall across her entire district would be “fiscally irresponsible,” since mountains provide natural barriers, but added that existing fencing in high-traffic areas makes sense.
"You send out an agent(s) to get them"

What if when the agent gets there, they aren't exactly where they were, when they were caught on camera? What if the nearest agent is 20 miles away when they are caught on camera? Are we going to have a drone follow each person, to lead an agent to each person? I guess that could work.

"While the Trumpanists (i guess you are either an anti Trumper or the opposite)"

Here's what I am. I am someone who thinks he's an awful human being, who is doing some really good things as POTUS, and some bad things as POTUS, but more good than bad in terms of policy (not behavior). Categorize that any way you want.

""Nearly every lawmaker who represents a district or state along the U.S.-Mexico border — including two Republicans — either opposes outright or more quietly declines to support President Donald Trump’s $5.7 billion request for a border wall, according to a survey conducted by POLITICO."

The lawmakers and border patrol agents that I have seen on TV (not a credible sample perhaps), overwhelmingly say it will help. I'll trust law enforcement, WAY before I trust a politician. Especially in the Trump era, where all that matters is making him look bad.