Thread: Iraq?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
spence

For the most part I think the primaries are simply pushing most everything out of the way.

Although the improved security situation has been covered in depth by the EVIL LIBERAL MAINSTREAM MEDIA by my reconing.

Iraq is in a pretty interesting place right now.

Violence appears to be down mostly due to Sunni leadership playing ball rather than shooting at our troops. It would seem that they've realized they can't regain power if they're dead. The police/military has also matured a bit and is able to maintain some level of control without the murderous tangents they were prone to the last few years. The Mahdi army has stood down as well making their job a little easier.

The problem is there's still nearly zero political progress to provide any lasting stability.

Best case: The lull in violence gives the factions some time to think about the future and compramise to solve some problems. Iran, Syria and Saudi Arabia don't exacerbate tensions.

Worst case: The factions are just waiting for US troops levels to drop before fighting it out to regain control. Conflict spreads to the entire region in one shape or another.

This could come to a head in a few months as it's expected that we're going to draw down some troops and the Iraqi government is going to get turned I believe.

-spence