Thread: Lybia
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
You're bleeping me? Give it more time. I am not a fan of intervention here (I think maybe Europe steps up on this one and we support that effort). But by the time the admin gets going, this will be all over. If you allow more time for Arab consensus it is long over. The only good new if the Arabs DO IT with an d ARAB face is that at least the Junior Varsity will be going against the Middle School squad. The action windows is nearly closed.
We'll see how close they really are. Clearly the Admin is not going to go it alone, nor should we. I think the bigger piece is that Khadaffi is now seen as damaged goods by even much of the Arab leadership.

Quote:
Speaking of Iran, arming AQ/Taliban now. And reports are going around that a ship bound for Hamas has been intercepted with Anti Ship Missiles (not RPGs) and a Chinese ship was intercepted with WMD components bound for Iran.
Never seen a report of Iran arming al Qaeda. Sending arms to Palestine is nothing new...

Quote:
Spencism Alert! Spencism Alert! Spencism Alert!
No, it's just a remark. And one I think that's defend-able. Bush would have made some dramatic remarks about standing up for those who seek freedom, the neocons would have had a circle jerk, and then they'd do nothing.

Quote:
Well, you could have a repeat of the last two wars in the middle east. No Fly Zones do not occupy territory.
I think the calculus in Libya might not be in Khadaffi's favor. The real end game may be to get regime ending concessions.

-spence