Thread: Turning Turtle
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
Backbeach Jake

Turning Turtle

No, not that . Flipping the kayak, what I did right and what I did wrong.
First, I didn't familarize with my ride. I shoulda spend a day in shallow water to see just how far I could lean it. My first voyage was P-Town harbor, I circumnavigated the breakwater. If I had flipped on the backside of the Breakwater, shielded from view, it could have been dicey to say the least. Funny thing is I thought at the time that I was being very conservative, safety wise. Deep water ain't the spot to learn.
What I did right was install side handles, without them I'd be washing up just about now. I also had all gear stowed, no hooks out or hanging from rods, no hatches open, all battened and watertight.
I also didn't tether my rods so now they're lost. I'll go looking in a couple of hours when the water is down, but I don't have high hopes. Tuition, I guess. I did tether the paddle. I did install paddle hooks so I'd have a safe spot to put it when I fish.
I didn't go in when it got so windy that I couldn't make headway. It was blowing inshore toward my starting point so I figured that be alright. I underestimated the power of a small wave combined with imbalance (I was trying to get to a cooler/tacklebox in the tankwell) and being broadside to the wind. It was over before I knew it had started.
As pointed out, I had raised my center of gravity with a 2" cushion. They put the seat where it is for a reason, and now I know..
I hope this helps newbees, Read all you can, practice in shallow water, and if I may I'd like to recommend another website in Australia, Akff.net/forum/, these guys know yakking.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote