View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004, 01:27 PM   #63
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Actually - you be specific as we beat this dead horese I said you have had "with some attitude too while you've been here". Not exactly "a chip" on your shoulder. The one thread I recall being Hijacked was your Focus thread when some people called you on it. At that point you went right and did what you accuse others of doing.

One simple start to this would have been to ask permission to post the thread. As stated in the Registration agreement (oh yeh - ignored the LAST time he came around) "advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations or any other method to promote yourself without first clearing it with Striped-Bass.com is inappropriate on this message board" - all he had to do is ASK. I don't allow people to on this board. It's not fair to me as a site owner, it's not fair to the guys that sponsor the site, and it's not always fair to the memmbers. There are plenty of instances where people e-mail or PM and ask and RECIEVE permission to post stuff - much like what Jim started posting here. This on it's own would have gone far smoother had he done that. This site does not censor links to other places, we do not prevent people from saying like such and such shop or plug that are not our sponsors. We DO draw the line when someone self promotes their fishing related business or their freinds when it is self-promoting or when someone starts something with the intention to promote something else. It's a tough line to walk between keeping a board open and honest and allowing people with the agenda of plugging their own products for their own personal gain (Mike Bartlett / B-Fast Charters, Penetrator Lures, CrabHawk, just to name a few). THAT is a disservice to our members, sponsors, and to me. I could make more money and less agravation just by saying "would you like fries with that". IF Jim gets it together and builds a good site, has a level of ethic, has knowledable moderators and members, AND a bit of luck, he too will find how tough it gets. He ain't there yet and he has no clue as to what its like to run - with lots of help - a mid sized site like this.

Quote:
Yeah, you scream spam. If its spam, then why not delete it the moment its posted? LMAO. Why? Because it was only spam after you decided you didnt like it anymore. Only after Jim tried to defend and explain himself. Only after you allowed it to become a cess pool and a free for all did you deem it spam. The Staff on this board is all but USELESS, and needs to be updated. Just my opinion.
Actually, I called it SPAM right from my first post. I kept the thread going - against my better judgement - as I wanted to hear wht he had to say about Al...

He started this thread to enlighten the world on poor Al but then he acted like a jerk. Well, fortunately I don't think Al will suffer anything bad from this - I'd still like to say hello to the guy and wet a line (and I'll keep my stinkin' mouth shut too). When things were getting discussed and he didn't like the discussion, he reacted. If you don't want to discuss something - for better or worse - KEEP IT OFF AN INTERACTIVE DISCUSSION BOARD. If he wants to dictate a story make it a freikin WAV file.
As for where moderators are working or not working, it's always a work in progress. Elements on the board shift, personalities shift, differences in religion, ideology, passions can flow together or stack each other up. Yes, things are a little crazier than normal or as we'd like but they will always ebb and flow that way. As for the negativity and swearing and needing moderation? Do we need to look at what you've posted and do a granular inspection of every argument you've been in? I don't think so. We try to offer some flexibility here and not be board drill sargeants. It's not anywhere as easy as you think. Good luck. And while you are promoting another website without permission, please remove your links to stripers24 from your profile - and what's that other board??

Hey Al McReynolds - sorry this thread turned to flushable material - wasn't your fault at all....

OK - now that I've wasted time from my REAL job...

Thanks,

John

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: