View Single Post
Old 12-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #84
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I'm not willing to throw away the values that we held for almost our total existance - not torturing people.

There was a special on Showtime the other night and I wasn't really watching it but I did see many former CIA directors saying that the best way to get info. is to be bc friends w/the prisoner.
"I'm not willing to throw away the values that we held for almost our total existance "

If you are a liberal, I think that pretty much means you are quite willing to do exacvtly that, but only on issues that serve your agenda I guess. How else do you explain sanctuary cities? How do you explain trampling on the religious freedom of those who oppose gay marriage?

"I did see many former CIA directors saying that the best way to get info. is to be bc friends w/the prisoner"

No one is saying that soft interrogation never works. Nor would any sane person claim that torture always produces actionable intelligence. But are you really going to deny that some terrorists might not voluntarily divulge useful information, but they might do it if tortured? Isn't that common sense? There are former CIA dirctors who sai dthat waterboarding produced some valuable intelligence that had not been obtained by making nice with them.

In the 'ticking time bomb' scenario, it would be immoral not to do whatever it takes to save innocent lives. It would be immoral not to do it.

We are dealing with an unprecedented threat here. This couple dropped off their baby just before doing this for God's sake. They hate us, far more than they love their own children.

What would you do? Keep digging graves until they run out of bullets?