View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #20
Mr. Sandman

All depends on the size of the fish on the other end. For small fish, yes the cheap reels will land you your fish. If on the other hand you hook up with a giant, you stand little to no chance with those cheap reels and you will be running all over the ocean trying to catch up to it.
The drag can not put the pressure you need and will melt down and seize up under long sustained runs. Don't waste your time with surf reels offshore. You need a reel that can put 30-60# of drag and hold up.

The big Stella is my choice for power and comfort and outstanding service. The larger Vanstall/ZeeBaas can do the job as can the Diawa Saltiga (they have a new model this year that looks very nice) and also the twin drag accurate is up to the job. As mentioned above, these are very expensive. If you go 10X per year...IMO you are in the category to get one. They are worth the money and there is a solid market for used ones if you need to unload it.

Some of these reels can put as much drag pressure as a conventional 80 wide.

Every now and again you hear of a breakdown with one of these good reels but it is a rarity. My buddy in Florida had a VanStall seize up after a long run under high drag and the line held for a while but bent the main shaft. The spool wobbled and rubbed on the housing. Basically trashed it. (I think he had a Jewfish or some kind of monster grouper on)

As far as the "fun" factor....While the sound of an 80 wide ripping off line is music to my soul....I love fighting big fish on spinning gear, it is a blast.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote