View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #26
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
The kid's big mistake was doing it at the 22. It could be interpreted as a "nyah, nyah, you can't catch me" gesture. If he waited until the 5, I think that they would have let it go.

In the abstract, the call looks excessive. But--did he get flagged earlier in the game for taunting, as numbskull reported on the other site? Did the refs take the coaches and captains aside before the kick-off and warn about stuff like this, as I've also heard? Is there a prior "history" between these two teams, from a time when they were in the same conference? Or did one of the teams have a similar problem during the first play-off round game?

Refs don't generally take coaches and captains aside before a game and read them the riot act about taunting and premature celebrations, if that's what happened.

Exactly Mike. I heard a couple of the parents from both teams on the radio last night and the kid was flagged earlier that game for the same thing on a non scoring play though. The play in question took place with over 6 minutes left in the game and they had 2 more opportunities to score and on the last opportunity that QB threw an INT. The more I read and hear about this the more I side with the official as hard as it is for to do being a former out of control athlete that loved to taunt and get inside the heads of other players.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote