View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #26
Islander77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
The bottom line I get out of this, is that left unchecked, if you were allowed to keep what you caught (within reason) there would be no problem with overfishing and the industry would be fine?

I would have to say 'redonkulous' on that one. Many species certainly are overfished, and blame is on both the managers and fisherman on that one. There is a long history of going further and further in fisheries through time. If catches were sustainable, the same grounds would be viable ad nauseum. This is not the case, and has not been the case for a hundred years or more. Should we go the route of Canadian Cod fisherman, and ignore the problem until the stocks have collapsed, perhaps beyond repair?

I would prefer smaller fleets with smaller boats, who can better target a species and reduce by-catch. If that means rod-reel, pots, traps etc.., then more power to it!
Not what I was saying at all.. But remember when the feds choke a fishery then open it wide open to draggers and on top of it drop keeper size to fit catch ( haddock recently) then its never gonna change. The sad part is I dont want to see or nor do I think any one else would want to see a corperate sized companies in fishing, they have BIG money and BIGGER lawyers.... Can you say devastation with no limits there..