View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
parker23
No Trolling allowed

Location of Brownell 26 former owner Joe Cordero

Sitting here reminscing about fishing in the early 90's on the Brownell 26 Black Hawk. Captain Joe Cordero was an amazing fisherman I had the privilege of fishing with over a few summers. We livelined scup at Wasque rip. He would swing her stern into the rip and say in his soft voice "ok boys get ready you'll be on in a second or two" and he was dead on. Our trips would start with a call to his scup trap fishing boat pal who would trade a barrel full of live short scup for 2 cartons of cigarettes. Then we would steam for Wasque Pt. Joe would chain smoke leaving a trail of butts. We would joke that we could navigate our way back to port by the butt trail. Joe was a soft spoken man of few words. We once talked him into letting us bring our fly rods to use after we filled the fish box. He was amazed when we hooked up on bass and blues.
That boat was by far the best boat I have ever fished. She would sit on the edge of the huge standing wave in that awesome rip and glide with the current like no other boat. We witnessed a 50 foot Buddy Davis get knocked down in the rip line while we just sat 50' feet to starboard unmolested in that 26' bass machine. As we pulled in stern first into the piling slip a group of people would be there to witness Joe's catch of the day. Those were some of the most amazing days on the water. I was just a body that baited the hook and reeled in the fish. Joe did all the real work by placing the stern in the the rip and let us know when we would be tight on a bass. Most trips the smallest bass would be 25lbs.
I lost touch with Joe and learned of his passing 10 plus years ago.
I was wondering where that boat is now. I know she lost her keel after hitting a submerged telephone pole but I am pretty sure she was back in the water. I just love that boat She was so solid. Mahogany planking over an oak frame. I have seen a few 26 footers for sale but don't know where the Black Hawk is berthed.
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Merry Christmas to all

1 @ 32 Pledge. Our beloved Striped Bass are in trouble AGAIN.

I fished through the lean years and don't want to live through another collapse of the stock.

2 fish @ 28" is ridiculous.
parker23 is offline   Reply With Quote