View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
Pete_G

Wanting change and a greater, smarter, healthier, happier United States does not equal apathy, ignorance of the quality of life in other parts of the world, or an ungrateful view of this nation.

It's funny that complacency is brought up. To me, Smith is saying I don't appreciate my country just because I don't 100% support this administration. I have nothing less then a visceral reaction to that and I don't think I'm alone. Who the %^&* is he to question my patriotism and appreciation for our military? So many writers as well as people in the gov't love to take that stance. Keep it up and see what happens. Take a hint from that approval rating.

To me this is just another divisive perspective from some ignorant guy with a editorial column. If he didn't try so hard to anger the 67% of the population he is speaking down to he might have had something.

There's nothing wrong with wanting this country to change or be "better", whatever that may be. Change, at this point, is a very relative term. Change to what? Something new? Something old? It is inherently American to want changes and actions to preserve that which is good to secure an even better future. It doesn't mean that the 67% is ungrateful.