View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

we were around plum island. we crossed over to the island without much incident, but when we crossed back it was mid tide. i got back over just fine, if not a hundred yards off target my buddy struggled though. they were his yaks, and i feel like i had more experience in them then he did. =/ he told me to go ahead to some rocks earlier, he stayed behind, and flipped himself in the current trying to anchor while i was out of sight.. i told him a million times we had to get out of the current before we could fish. he almost drowned himself.. lucky he didnt. lost all his tackle though.
anyway.. we ended up working pockets of lesser currents along the shore. but the fish started pulling me right out into the boat channel/current. luckily it made a 180 turn and headed back towards shore. i was freaking out, cause if he got back into that current around all the moored boats, plus the traffic, i wasnt sure what i was gonna do.. he had to have pulled me about 200 yards when all was said and done.

the original plan was use the yaks to get to spots and then fish from shore. but it turned into just fishing from the yaks after half the day was spent just paddling around. 3 or 4 cast in and i was on. that fish felt like a mac truck. it was actually incredibly heavy for its size. had my drag set pretty high, was pulling the yak, and taking line at the same time. best of all was jumping all over the place. actually scared another large striper, and that jumped out of the water next to the one i had on. sun was setting, calm water,was an awesome moment.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
GonnaCatchABig1 is offline   Reply With Quote