Thread: NRA
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I apologize for having only but a minute, so I'll make a few outrageous claims and then come back to cite them tomorrow and correct inaccuracies. However, the following should give enough info to get people down the path of the FACTS, as opposed to media driven hysteria. The Denver shooter allegedly had a drum magazine jam which brought his spree to an end and I believe the Oregon shooter had a 30rd magazine jam and then a person with a legal Carry permit took aim at him, didn't shoot due to concerns of bystander safety and then the Oregon shooter shot himself.

Large capacity magazines are notorious for jamming, especially when it comes to rifle caliber cartridges - not so much for pistol cartridges or .22lr.

The previous ban on magazines over 10rds was only for magazines manufactured post-1994. However, it is relatively impossible to tell the difference between many pre and post manufactured magazines. Also, there are millions and millions of magazines available from as long as 30 years ago such as military surplus. A ban would do nothing to reduce availability.

You're a man of numbers. There's a reason why gun-grabbers use terms like "sensible reform", "common sense gun laws" and other emotionally-driven yet unsubstantiated terminology. Because there is *zero empirical evidence* that verifies any reduction in deaths due to the previous Federal Assault Weapon Ban.

Lastly, which situation was actually stopped when the shooter stopped to reload? Denver and CT were both "Gun Free Zones" so there should have been zero legally-armed citizens. As such, there was no opportunity for the shooter to be stopped while reloading.

Remember, when seconds count, the police are just minutes away.
You are not in the habit of making outrageous claims.

I'll see which mass shooting, if there was one, was stopped when the killer stopped to reload.

Look, I'm no anti-gun nut. It just seems like common sense to me that it's easier for me to kill more people with a 30-round magazine than with 3 ten-round magazines. If I'm wrong, and I may be, then that should be the end of the discussion. But if my goal is to kill as many people as possible, I'll take a rifle with a high-capacity magazine over a revolver every day.

If we are serious about making changes (and I see no evidence we are), we need to make gun control decisions that are based on fact, not emotion. In my opinion, the gun-control issue is less important than the required discussion about the crap in movies and video games we bombard our kids with.

In a free society, we will have these things happen on occasion, that's the price we pay for our freedom. But if we can reduce the frequency and severity of these attacks without trampling on the constitution, I'm all for it.