View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #9
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
the cooper hawk is most anxious to score a small bird to eat during a very windy storm approaching....and thats when to look for them.

so when the flurries start blowing sideways they are sure to appear.

My parrot would square off with him in the tree and shriek sometimes being chased around from tree to tree (in summer) with the cooper hawk 1 foot away from sinbad the parrot's tail feathers ...with him screaming bloody murder the whole time even though they were equal in size.
i go thru 50 pounds of black seed per month...but i have found i attract more birds offering suet than seed and i buy both types;
the natural beef suet thats white and pink and the suet cakes
you can buy at most stores although the cheapest source is the christmas tree shops at 79 cents each and never pay more than a buck each.

i like feeding the red belly wood peckers and of course the nuthatches and the downy woodpeckers too.
cardinals love safflower seed the most........

i have cardinals every day( two pair) ...and if you have thistle seed you'll get the purple finches and the gold finches by the dozen.

i attach boards to my deck railing with a lip on the edge so they have a landing perch but they favor the branches i screw down to the railing to land on the best.
We go through a fair amount of seed ourselves.Jane has started to show me how to make homemade suet(bacon fat and peanut butter!)

We have three pairs of Cardinals I can certainly id by pair.We also get a Downy woodpecker too.Lotsa tufted titmice and black-capped chickadees.Nuthatches and blue-jays and of course sparrows,starlings,doves and finches.And other seasons bring a whole host of other birds which in Spring brings the damn grackles!

There really is nothing like seeing that hawk though.It really is awesome.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote