Thread: Bait
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2022, 08:09 AM   #4
Rockfish9

I keep mine in a 35 Gallon Rubbermaid barrel in my shop, fitted with a canister filter that pumps the return water through an old aquarium chiller set to 40 ( the digital is off, the new temp probe is back ordered. the water is @39).. water is drawn from the center through 3/4 pvc that is drilled all the way around top to bottom with 3/16 holes so bait cant get pulled into it, the return is drilled on one side with larger holes at the bottom and progressively smaller one towards the top, it is angled so there is a slight counter clockwise rotation, this keeps the bait oriented and moves scale and waste towards the middle so it gets pulled into the filter.. I have the bottom fitted with a pump and strainer for quick water changed and draining, I have potable water piped to the tank so I can top off after drawing water.. a flat air stone is place where the return is to help keep the debris moving.. the set up is extreme for most people, but I keep 6-10 dozen shiners at a time ( I trap my own bait), the chiller assures that I never get temperature shocked bait, as any change over 5-7 degrees in 24 hours will shock them, just a trash can outside with an air stone and occasional water changes would accomplish the same thing, it is just more labor intensive and inconvenient..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220118_180332.jpg (93.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20220118_180348.jpg (148.6 KB, 12 views)

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote