View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #64
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Jim I agree as the historical lead nation and peace keeper of the free world, at times we all wonder why does that burden fall on us, well it is because we WANT to be the leader. This withdrawal using your thought process might possibly have been accomplished with a president who valued our European allies and sought the UN and our allies to tag in and give our troops a respite. That is a giant stretch for Trump and I really believe he couldn’t care less about our Kurd or European allies, this was either about trying desperately to distract from the impeachment, fulfill a campaign promise or worse; protect family financial interests in Turkey.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
"we WANT to be the leader"

We DID lead in Syria. We were there by ourselves for years. If we take a 3 year hitch, then ask someone else to take a turn (after the heavy fighting against ISIS is behind us), does that mean we aren't the leader anynore? I don't think so. I can't think of any definition of "leader" that precludes the leader from ever receiving assistance.

"That is a giant stretch for Trump and I really believe he couldn’t care less about our Kurd or European allies"

You may be right. I'm not trying to read his mind, just evaluating the pros and cons of the withdrawal.

You made some good points in this post, points I agree with 100%.

I'd really like to know who the good guys are in the Kurd-Turkey feud. I still have no idea how to feel about it. I see pros and cons on both sides.