View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 05:55 AM   #114
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Because religion promotes peace and love !
The fact that you would deny that (in the case of most religions, certainly in the case of Christianity and Judaism), displays your ignorance and/or hatred.

Any huge group of people will have a few evil apples, I don't think there are any exceptions to that. But those evil people aren't inspired by anything that is taught as a cornerstone of their faith.

For example, there was obviously a huge problem with Catholics and pedophiles (more accurately, with Catholics and homosexual predators, but we aren't supposed to say that, either). But those crimes were not inspired by anything that's in the Catholic Catechism.

You don't have to be spiritual to be a good person. But it helps tip the scales in a good way. That's true. You can deny that and ridicule it, or ask if there is anything we can extrapolate from that. Go to a Catholic charity some time, and ask those people why they are volunteering there, instead of sitting home watching TV.

True Christians don't, by and large, shoot people for no good reason. Many of them will tell you that their faith is a big reason why they feel obligated to care about others, but you can't admit that, because it doesn't serve your political agenda.

If I had to constantly deny irrefutable empirical evidence in order to justify my beliefs, that would cause me to take a long, hard look at what I believe, and why. And where I get my information from.