Thread: FACTS
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 05:35 PM   #24
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post
Need I point out, it was you who stated "Yeah but you (meaning immigrants, I presume) wouldn't be aware of them [bigger issues] unless you can understand English".

That really isn't hard to figure out. Hand a copy of the Boston Globe to a non-english speaking person and then quiz them on the specifics of the bigger issues reported that day. Or sit them down in front of MSNBC, CNN or and see what they garner from it. Learning to speak English in America gives that person a clear advantage to succeed in this country. Arguing that we are obligated to instead put our language aside and learn theirs to give them that advantage is ludicrous.

What do you have to lose if some immigrant family prefers to speak spanish in their Chelsea tenement home, or if adequate spanish or chinese profiency is a mandatory requirement for a high school degree?

I could care less whether Chelsea tenement dwellers choose to converse in Spanish or not. I do not however feel compelled to provide them with an education in their native language or spend increasing amounts of some of that alleged dwindling expendable income you note to accomodate those who choose not to learn our language. Nor do I feel compelled to provide electoral ballots, or street signs to them in 25 languages. When I was in High School foreign language study was required but it was not mandated to a specific language. I opted for French. It came in handy in French restaurants, but that was about the extent of it. I'm sure some of our compassionate friends would love to mandate Spanish to our kids but the choice of what langauge they choose to study should be up to them. I do feel it is our responsibilty to provide English classes to all legal immigrants who intend to become American citizens.

My Great-Grand parents were very succesful in their immigration to this country as most were in those days. Learning English was the cornerstone of that success.

Its far easier and takes less energy being tolerant as opposed to intolerant, but I am sure you know that, being from Plymouth and all, a community that is 95% white.....which brings me to my next point.

Is there something wrong with living in a 95% white town? Do you think the Real Estate agent whispered that to us before we bought? Should we force some of us out and some minorities in to balance things out? Shame on all 95% of us I guess. Should I be guilt ridden over this?
Extensive travel and having international co-workers from 1983 to 2005 gives one a real life perspective of the alternatives to life in America and to gain an appreciation for things that many appear to despise and seek to change. I had an advantage many did not.