View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #15
Mr. Sandman

Like many things, you get what you pay for. If you get 10+ years out of anything used outside year round that is all you can expect IMO. I like charcoal too when the time permits but most times it doesn't. Get one of the heavy ceramic Egg grills if you like cooking over charcoal or wood. I just got a new gas grill yesterday and have not tried it yet. You really need two grills. One gas one charcoal...and you also need a separate smoker if you are into that. Combo units are a waste of time.

My last two gas grills were Vermont castings. One lasted 10 the other 9. Used year round in salty air environments. Covered when not in use. they worked when I got rid of them but they were getting crusty and I wanted a new one. Parts were available but the stores really don't carry them you need to order them from VC. They were pricey. The covers they had sucked. I went thru 3 over the 10 years. VC's are now made in China and are not nearly as heavy as the early models and the SS is not as high quality and the gauge is noticably thinner. They are still nice and had the features I wanted. (mainly a really powerful secondary burner for doing wok, lobster boils, tuna searing, etc. Most of the less expensive units have anemic BTU output on side burners and can barely boil water in a wind, this is a big deal for me) Also I use the indirect rear element with roticeary for all day cooking items that would burst into a giant flame if cooked from below. VC units I had were about $1400 or so. VC models are still nice but there are others now that look as nice with better warranty

The model I got yesterday was the Napoleon Prestige. http://www.napoleongrills.com/
All in, it was about the same $ as the VC but comes with a great warranty (free parts for 10 years and after that 50% off parts for life) and better features. (they also had free delivery and they took old VC out of there) The side burner has insane heat can do wok's and sear easily. Don't know how it will hold up yet but nearly the entire unit is SS and has a heavy feel to it. But only time and use will tell. The cover is really nice and heavy with draw ties that will not let the wind blow it off. (a problem with the VS where I live...I would find the cover down the across the yard after a storm)

Avoid any units with gimmick of lights or cheap igniters. They all crap out and need replacing. That goose neck LED lamp that came with the VC lasts less then a season. The igniters last about 4 seasons. You end up using a handheld butane trigger lighter. I almost wish they would make units with no spark igniters and made it simple to just use hand device you can buy at stop and shop.

My unit is a propane unit that hooks directly to the house propane feed (no tanks)

(BTW that grilling guy (Steve Raichlen) has a place on chappy and they did a TV interview with him...he has 6 different style grills at his house! Nice guy, I have seen him walking around Edgartown)

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 05-12-2013 at 07:20 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote