View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Newbie Observations ...

I love Kayak fishing ,,, Way different fishing experience . After getting over the creepy factor of being out in deep water sitting on a 12' piece of plastic, I'm digging it . I trust my life jacket ,keeping shore in sight , I know I can make it . I've been doing high 40' max .

1. I like the vantage point of sitting right on the water , same level as the fish hitting on top .

2. I like sitting in fish/birds with the action going on around me rather than trying to reach it from shore .

3. I like fishing my 5'6" saint croix with 5600 abu black max and 20# fireline. ,, light tackle compared to what I'm use to ,. My shoulder is loving it to .

4. I like moving to the fish easily . When they were in close yesterday I spied a shore fisher scrambling back and forth on the rocks trying to get in them . Poor bastagde , that was me last year .

5. I enjoy the exercise (pedaling),, I feel this will add years to my fishing when I can no longer scramble on the rocks .

6. I'm use to dragging fish into the shallows. Now when I get a fish close in the yak she runs straight down . Never had to deal with that before .

7. Landing a fish is more interesting ,, No way am I pulling that head shaking ,treble thrashing fishing into my lap . Working over the side with the plastic lip gripper vice grips is a new skill .

8 and again ,, peeing in my mirage well whenever I feel like it .. Still working on a few things .. like ,, straddling legs over sides and sliding up front to get in that hatch , did that once . Stowing a fish in back area and strapping it down .. still a little nervous turning around or hanging legs over ... working on it . Whole new skill set needed.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 06-23-2011 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: Cleaned up the formatting

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote