View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #53
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Jim, I think you realize that I'm just pointing out that even though our regional cuisine may not be the best in certain styles, there are still very good restaurants in just about all styles in this area. I look for hidden gems, like the place I went last night and usually enjoy them. I also go to many of the casual chains that you find everywhere. If I go out for Thai food once every month or two and have a really good place to go, I'm happy. If I want Mexican once a month, there are a couple places I can go to that I'm sure you'd be surprised at how good they are. I can find an excellent restaurant for just about any type of cuisine within a short drive from my house.
I take the good with the bad. There are things I hate about New England, and there are things that I love about it. I'm a big sports fan and we 4 competitive professional teams. I'm close to the ocean for fishing and I wouldn't give that up. I just can't get into the freshwater fishing scene. We have excellent schools in my town, along with parents who are very active in the school and youth sports. I live close to my parents and 2 of my 3 sisters, and that's probably the most important thing for me. Luckily, I'm in a situation where the cost of living isn't killing me, and I can live in relative comfort. If I was forced to move to better my situation for my family, I'd do it. It's funny, though. My dad lived in Sausalito for years and liked it, but was happy to move back here. My sister moved to Alpharetta, GA and loves the town, but wanted to move back here. Unfortunately, because she has MS it's better for her to live in a warmer climate.
I can relate. I lived in SF and wanted to move (back) there too and I did. I could have moved anywhere. I have nothing against the east coast. I have something against ignorance towards the rest of this country which seems predominatlty from NE or least on this board. Here is an interesting thing that drives my wife nuts. In CA or SF, no one was from there, they all moved there. In TX, no one is from here, they all moved here. In MA, everyone was from MA! No one moved there from another part of the country. You wind up with people having a smaller view of the world. No everyone, but generally. People in other parts of the country are more travelled. The party at my house on NYE had people from Colorado, Florida, Pennslyvania and Georgia. Interesting discussion and interesting places. My neighbor was an f-16 pilot, big deal in stealth technology development. Last year my party had people from MA, most intersting friend was probably my buddy the IT desktoo support guy.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all