View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 10:30 AM   #25
Pete F.
Canceled

I'm a true believer that evil comes in many forms; that the worst evil is not what one person can do, but rather what evil they can inspire OTHERS to do, in their name.
And so, I'm sharing a string of tweets, by Ezra Klein, an American journalist. He tweeted:
"I want to be careful in how I say this bc obviously you can't just break into the Capitol and desecrate offices and hit police officers with pipes (and smear feces on the walls.) People should be arrested. But I don't think they should be our focus."
"These people were lied to, over and over by officials at the highest levels of the American government, by people with power, and presumably, knowledge. They trusted the President, and Republican members of Congress, to tell them the truth, and they believed what they were being told."
"And what they were told was that a crime of astonishing proportion had been committed - Power over the U. S. Government itself had been stolen, in broad daylight. And the thieves were just going to get away with it. (They were told that Electoral politics had failed.
"They were told this by the President. By the House minority leader. By more than a dozen senators. By more than 100 U.S. representatives. By anchors on Fox News. By nationally syndicated radio hosts. (and by conspiracy theorists, like QAnon.)
And then, the President asked them to show up and fight for their country."
"I'm not here to release anyone from personal accountability for their actions. But the real villains here are the people in power who lied to those who trusted them, putting them and the country in danger, for personal and political gain."
"The worst consequences should be for THEM - and all who conspired to enable them - not for their marks.
If we're going to hold those who invaded the Capitol accountable, and we SHOULD, then we need to hold those who convinced them to invade the Capitol, accountable.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device