View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 08:12 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

No one mentioned this....

Holy moly, glad you guys are ok.....

From Ron Powers' report at OTW this week;

Captain Jason Colby and myself had a harrowing encounter Wednesday on the Westport side of Buzzards Bay. The marine forecast had called for 2- to 4-footers but in reality the Maria-inspired rollers topped out at close to 10! On the way in, we were capsized by what Jason estimated to be a 25-foot rogue wave that lifted the Little Sister from the stern, briefly stood the boat vertically then dumped it completely end over end throwing everything including us, violently into the water. I found myself under the boat, a bit dazed but determined to dive down and distance myself from the boat as much as I could. I knew a turning prop and 4 to 5 tons of fiberglass would spell the end for me if I was struck. I found the surface and somehow an hour later, in spite of taking a pounding by 8- to 10-foot waves in pea-soup fog we made it to the Westport River where the Westport Harbormaster picked us up as we clung to a sail boat mooring. There was a lot that went into our survival and this is not the last I will write about this! A lot of precious gear along with Jason’s boat was lost but we are still alive and that ultimately is all that counts. As we were bobbing/struggling in the waves I would occasionally and longingly spot my gray Pelican case with my camera stuff floating on the surface, but for obvious reasons getting it was not a priority. However, should you hear of someone finding this near bulletproof, waterproof gray case bobbing around somewhere, you know where to find me. That thing is stacked with pictures and I would surely love to get it back! And by the way, the tog bite is terrific.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote