View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #26
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
ever hear of The Police?
That's why I quit smokin weed!

I don't hear many similarities between the Police and Sublime, I know you're going to say they were heavily influeced by Reggae and I will agree with you, but to my ear the similarities stop there. I will say that I don't own all of the Police releases but I think that comparison is a bit of a stretch. I love the Outlandos D'Amor album though and many other songs, I was once obsessed with learning Message in a Bottle on the guitar and it's still something I warm up with.

I'm not giving Sublime credit for bringing Reggae to the mainstream table, Clapton may have done that before the Police did, I don't know the dates off the top of my head. But outside of some indy, underground groups from the 1980s and with a little help from the Chili Peppers and maybe Fishbone, Sublime was the first band (That I know of) that brought the mixture of rap, raggae, punk rock and sampling to the ears of most people.

This is kind of a dumb argument... Sublime had a hand in the creation of the type of music that many of the groups of today are butchering... so did the unnamed bands you heard back when I was 9. But if you want to get crazy, The Beatles played a hand, so did Bob Marley and the guy who invented the guitar. Hell, the one-celled organsim that mutated to eventually become a human being had a hand in this too.

-Dave

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote