View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 01:39 AM   #15
BradS

Jim in CT

So far I've used my Hobie two to three x per week for two full seasons while fishing for stripers and bluefish in salt water and I would say that Hobie's are absolutely worth the $$.

As mentioned, being able to troll etc with the rod in your hand instead of in a rod holder is a big advantage, plus the power of the Mirage Drive (especially with turbo fins) in current or strong winds enables me to fish on days and in more areas than I was able to in any of the other three kayaks I owned over the years.

For me the Mirage Drive is also an important safety factor as I sometimes fish outside of Narragansett Bay in open waters and when I'm drifting eels or trolling tube 'n worm in close to rocks and a strong swell threatens to wash me into the rocks the drive enables me to immediately power myself out of there rather than having to put my rod in a holder (step one) pick up the paddle (step two) and then paddle out of the situation (step three).

The Mirage Drive Can be messed up but is solidly built and definitely not fragile. Any damage I've done to mine so far was easily repairable and I'm not very "handy". They also sell a spare parts kit.

Brad
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote