Thread: Syria
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 04:39 PM   #34
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
The people praising the action should concern all of us.
There are a lot of things, even much more important than this, that should concern all of us. But that ain't gonna happen.

I have great admiration for Mattis. And also for his reasons for resigning. I have great admiration for generals like MacArthur, who was fired by an also admirable Present Truman.

I heard a respected general on the radio today who agreed with the pullout. We still do have troops and allies in the area. And we still have airpower there, which is what we mostly used anyway.

I have gut reactions to the Syrian involvement. And I can't explain why, but I felt a sense of relief that we're getting out of there. As well would I if we pulled out of Western Europe.

I'm not praising what Trump did. But I don't condemn it. Nor do I think that our alliances are in danger because of it. I kind of like the idea that Russia and Iran will have to spend their blood and treasure to finish off ISIS. Russia couldn't defeat the Afghan mujahideen because we armed it, and so, as a reward, we got the Taliban in return. Maybe Russia can do the job on ISIS if we don't interfere. Although, like JohnR, I would love to arm the Kurds to the hilt and somehow help them to be independent. But, considering the perfidious nature of the region, who knows how that might come back to bite us.

Oh, well, now my less than praise but lack of condemnation should be of concern to y'all. Love it.