Thread: NRA
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #76
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
People buy them for protection.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I doubt that. I'd bet every penny I have that most people (not all) buy them for the thrill. If I really thought I was in a situation where I was in so much danger that I couldn't defend myself with a handgun, I'd probably look at making some changes in my lifestyle.

It's pretty rare you need such a weapon for protection, isn't it? Rare, but not non-existant. If I was a white store-owner in LA during the Rodney King riots, I'd rather have an AR-15 with a high-capacity magazine than a handgun. And the reason I'd want the AR-15, is the same exact reason why I say (and can't believe people here are denying this) that a kook on a rampage will kill more kids with that weapon than with a handgun.

This is the conversation that should take place. Is the rare need for such a weopon for civilian protection, worth the price of more dead little kids when these rampages happen in schools?

I don't know the answer. But we can't have the conversation if folks won't admit these weapons will increase the body count.