View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
Jimbo

Eben is there a simple way...

To figure out what glass is hand blown and what is not? We had family involved in the Sandwich Glass Works (of yore). I have the dubious honor of settling an estate on the Cape. Sort of a messy thing among relatives.
Some it seems easy to identify by the "navel" on the bottom that it came from some glassworks operation. Some, not so easy, but obviously someone spent some time making it. For example, a small dark red cup with a clear handle and my grandfather's name and date of birth on it. I was told as a kid that was Sandwich glass. But my folks had (and I have) 8 water glasses in the same color, but a clear glass stem and base that we kids were never allowed to touch. Even as adults if we'd had a couple pops before Thanksgiving dinner, my mother removed them from our spots at the table. Now I have a dining room table full of it.
So, is there any way for the untrained eye to identify hand blown glass? I also have some Tiffany work, but Louis was at least nice enough to put his little "l.c.t." on the bottom to let ya know.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote