View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
Strike_King

Pizza on the grill...

I've been making it this way for years now. The taste,texture and crunch are totally different. I've tweaked it a few times. Here's the method I use:
Dough: I'm used to making my own,but any store bought is fine. When I don't feel like making one,DeMoulas or Trader Joe's works great
Sauce: Again,I make my own,but it's up to you..
Grill prep: I have a three burner Weber gas. I preheat with all three set to medium. Wipe some olive oil on the grate with a paper towel.
Rolling the dough: I'm generally a thin crust guy. Unless I'm making Sicilian style inside,I like it on the thin side. I use roll it out on a cutting board,to size. I use corn meal instead of flour because it gives it a nice crunch:

I then transfer it to a pizza peel

From there,I slide it onto the preheated grill. It will puff up a little bit. Depending on the grill,I leave it on for 5-7 minutes with the cover closed:

When the bottom is just right,I flip it over using the peel and tongs. Drop all three burners to low:

One side is cooked. The toppings will go on the cooked side. I kept it simple and just made one of my favorites,margherita:

Once the toppings are on, I cover and let cook until the cheese is melted. Ten to fifteen minutes usually does it,but will vary depending on the grill.When done,I remove them and put them on a rack to cool:

Let them set up a bit and then cut them. A mangia!!
Here are a couple of larger ones that I made:
Strike_King is offline   Reply With Quote