Thread: Obama Care
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #96
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post

Last I checked, the number of doctors per 1000ppl in Canada is not that far off from the US. On that thought... just looked it up again:
"In the U.S, there were 2.4 doctors per 1,000 people in 2005; in Canada, there were 2.2.[82] Some doctors leave Canada to pursue career goals or higher pay in the U.S., though significant numbers of physicians from countries such as India, Pakistan and South Africa immigrate to practice in Canada. Many Canadian physicians and new medical graduates also go to the U.S. for post-graduate training in medical residencies. As it is a much larger market, new and cutting-edge sub-specialties are more widely available in the U.S. as opposed to Canada. However, statistics published in 2005 by the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI), show that, for the first time since 1969 (the period for which data are available), more physicians returned to Canada than moved abroad.[83]"

The data is definitely somewhat dated, but shows that Canadian doctors aren't running to the US thus causing a large void of providers.
I know there are different sources for this data and they are probably all over the place, not sure if that came from wiki or not but the statistics numbers I found for 2009 were:
Canada Physicians per 1,000 = 1.61
US Physicians per 1,000 = 2.61

Physicians (per 1,000 people) - Health Nutrition and Population Statistics, Country Comparison, Nations Statistics

Canada physicians per capita - Wolfram|Alpha

Not sure what is valid.......

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"