View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #114
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spence, my original post has nothing to do with the questions you posted about it.

It's self explanatory, and has to do with Islam being at heart a peaceful religion, with teachings of religious tolerance and respect for others.

Therefore imo, they should be understanding of the feelings of the ones whose lives were forever affected by the evil act by a radical group of their religion.
This, in my opinion, is implicating all of Islam in the attack. Just like all the Japanese on the west coast of the US were implicated in Pearl Harbor.

New York is a very diverse city, and Muslims already live, work and pray in the shadow of the twin towers. Muslims (no, not the hijackers smartass) were killed in the attacks.

To say that a cultural center intended to promote interfaith communication (and equal rights for women, perhaps one of the central issues within Islam today) is not sensitive because of a shared faith with Bin Laden doesn't make any sense to me.

Just because they both call it Islam they clearly don't really share the same faith.

Given the large amount of mistrust of Islam in this country I can see how some might feel offended regardless. That being said, a solution based on fear doesn't seem logical if the objective really is peace.

As I've mentioned earlier, this issue seems to have always been about the (partially manufactured) controversy, and not really about the actual center itself and Imam and his wife.

-spence