View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #225
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
You make some very compelling points. But I expect gas to hit at least $5 this summer, and that's right when folks will be thinking about the election. $5 gas will not play well for Democrats. If this wasn't an election year for Obama, $5 gas would indeed be good or his green energy agenda (even though it would be bad for all of us).

I never thought about a conflict increasing his chances...
I think Iran and Obama's push to eliminate the oil and gas welfare give him an "out." I hope no one is surprised of the timing of Obama coming out in the last week or so and saying that we need to stop this welfare to the oil companies.

He will be able to displace blame for high gas prices by leveraging the record-breaking profits by oil companies and a continual push-back by the Republicans on his clean energy initiatives.

I can hear it now: "While there is no short-term solution to high gas and oil prices (my note: which there really isn't), my clean energy initiatives would help prevent these kinds of spikes in the future. But the Republicans are continually preventing progress towards getting us away from foreign oil."

And you know what, he'll be arguably right. Our economy hinges on a region that is less civilized than the Flinstones. Conflict in the Middle East immediately results in higher oil prices which then translated into higher fuel costs... thus raising prices on groceries, consumer goods and anything else that requires shipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Good luck in AC, don't chase any inside straights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
JD, leave your wallet home.
Appreciate the well wishes. Fortunately, I'm not much of a gambler. I was in Vegas for 9 days in early-February and I lost about $40 playing slots. Played mostly because I was out socializing with a client - cheaper than a meal out there.

This trip will be more of the same. Maybe a couple trips to the craps table, but that's about it.