View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 06:01 AM   #18
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
And I didn't accuse any one here of not thinking for themselves, my post was a counterpoint to Scott's post about a liberal who apparently couldn't think for themselves.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
it wasn't much of a counterpoint...no offense...on crap...was that "snarky"?

the mom was a liberal type in the movie...the daughter implied the the mom couldn't think for herself as the mom was berating her for not thinking for herself(like her) it's pretty common...I think this applies universally...I'm sorry if it angered you...the point was that the proudly self-described "free-thinkers" often seem to be the same folks that repeat mantra and language over and over, share memes, cut and paste basically struggle for an original thought or creative moment engaging in what appears to be "free-thinking" group think....all of the folks on my Facebook feed who fancy themselves highly evolved free thinkers use up all of their time and energy sharing obnoxious memes, I guess because that's how you proclaim to the world "I'm a free-thinker!!" .........

"I think that I 'free-think' there for I am"....despite any evidence and often to the contrary...it's like the "concerned for the environment" pipeline protestors and probably intellectually superior and environmentally conscious(just ask them) "free-thinkers" who spent their time demanding the water be protected and then left behind mountains of trash and waste threatening the same water supply.....or the tolerant "free-thinkers" on college campus' who attack anyone who harbors a differing opinion...or in the example I provided...the secular left's general attitude toward those with religious beliefs as being anything but free-thinking and therefore having zero standing where thinking is concerned.....the "free-thinkers" are remarkably predictable

that was the point ...declaring oneself a "free-thinker" is often more a self satisfier than fact....it allows an individual...an "intellectual"... quite a bit of latitude and assume a higher pedestal(in their mind) than those that they conclude do not think freely(like them)...it's soft bigotry....it doesn't require a degree....in my opinion much of "modern liberalism/progressivism" is a coalition of self-proclaimed "free- thinkers" engaging in the shallowest form of collectivist authoritarian group think and speak...

Dave Rubin declared himself a "free-thinker" as a result of recognizing and rejecting the left's group think authoritarianism posing as "free-thinking"...maybe he should have said..."freed-thinker"

Last edited by scottw; 02-11-2017 at 06:45 AM..