View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
JohnnyD

Mansfield School Cancels Holiday Concert After Parent Complaints

I know there are a lot of people on S-B.com from, formerly from, or have some other ties to Mansfield. Thought people might find this interesting (or enraging like me). Since there were comments of people not being grumpy enough in another post, I figured I'd fuel the fire.

"But the school’s principal told the local paper that after last year’s show, several moms and dads complained about the religious content of the program. So the school made the call to replace the holiday tunes with a Martin Luther King, Jr.-themed performance next month."
Mansfield School Cancels Holiday Concert After Parent Complaints CBS Boston

The inside scoop from a close friend who teaches in the music program at the high school is that a few parents who are atheist complained that the concert was too religious so the school folded and completely canceled the shows. Now they are going to have an MLK Jr.-themed performance.

Let's play devils advocate:
As a white male, should I not be just as offended that the atheist parents about the new concert? How is there a difference between atheists being angry about a concert with too much religion and a concert that reminds everyone of what my idiot ancestors did up to 50-60 years ago?

Listen, I'm not actually stating that is my opinion but what's stopping the school from being forced to cancel the new concert because some parents that don't care about being politically correct complain about that concert or complain about not having concerts about their heritage?

This stupidity really hits home because I performed in many of those evil holiday concerts as a kid. The nutjob atheists really would have been pissed when we performed over 25 minutes of Handel's Messiah.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote