Thread: Waterboarding
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshCappa View Post
3 square meals a day, healthcare, religious time, etc. JOKE! No matress, pee in cup or on the floor, if you get sick then you die, no lights, etc. These guys should have nothing and should live as long and painfully as possible. Too many good people died because of these radicals. They need to pay.
The vast majority of those held at GTMO were never charged with being radicals. Hell, most were set free...

But for those that we thought had information, the memos describe what the Government could legally do to them. For instance, as David Corn commented...

Quote:
For example, a detainee, according to the memos, could be handcuffed and shackled--with the handcuffs attached to a chain from the ceiling--and forced to stand naked (except for an adult diaper) for 180 hours in order to deprive him of sleep (not, mind you, to induce pain). Then this person could be thrown against a "flexible false wall" a few times. He could be slapped in the face and abdomen. He could be placed in a cramped space. He could be doused with water as cold as 41 degrees Fahrenheit. And then waterboarded. Throughout all this, the detainee, according to the memos, would be carefully monitored by CIA medical personnel to make sure he is not truly harmed. And the rules discussed in the Justice Department memos do indicate the CIA med teams were supposed to be fastidious and prudent. (If the detainee suffered swelling in his legs or feet because of being forced to stand for too long, he would be shackled in a sitting or horizontal position in which he could not sleep.)
This sure doesn't sound like a picnic to me.

Doesn't sound a lot like America either.

It does sound like the kind of behavior America has long stood against.

Now I have no love for those who have done us wrong, but I wish for swift justice, not sadistic suffering.

-spence