View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
spence

Nebe Belgian Tripple Review

Nebe wanted a real review of the beer he just gave me so here it goes.

Serving temp 38 dregrees.

Glass: Chimay chalice.

Initial pour shows carbonation true to style. Head dissipates quickly though without much structure and leaves a clean glass.

Color is a straw blonde with a bit of sediment in the bottle.

First nose gives me a little banana and a heavy orange citrus note with an undercurrent I could only describe as baked rye flour.

Flavor is pretty one dimensional. Tastes a lot like the nose suggests with the addition of some kettle hops to round out the finish. It's far less malty that I expected but very well balanced.

A bit warmer now and the nose has lost the citrus and has more of a bandaid character.

Towards the bottom of the glass the kettle hops are showing through and the nose is getting a bit of a toasted character with more bandaid on the finish.

At the end it's getting a grassy note on the nose, very green, and the bandaid has turned more oily.

Final sip in the mouth its pretty mellow and tastes a bit like Shock Top.

Summary: a subtle beer but for a hombrew it had a life cycle like an interesting wine. I'm not sure I'd call this a Belgian triple, it's more of a Belgian Blonde. Good flavor but without the mouthfeel you'd get from the real deal.

Final score: B+
spence is offline   Reply With Quote