Thread: Charlottesville
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #124
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Couple things, some of the lore and some of the statues are for the people that led those that defended their homes and some are considered memorials to those that were led and perished. Yes, some use them as symbols of hate.

Many of these statues and those they were modeled after, were part of the recovery from that war. No matter how poorly done.

When the Civil War was over, Lincoln had great hopes to pull people back together and mend our country. That may have happened much better had not some fool actor and his conspirators murdered Lincoln.

Reconstruction after the war was horrible and furthered our division.

Personally, I think it is up to the people that live in the districts to determine, by vote if necessary, on whether or not to remove them from public grounds. Not for those of us far and away to decide for them.

On private grounds, that is more up to the individual facilities.

As a northerner I have no great connection to those leaders but I can learn from them and respect some of their acts while still deploring others.

But we cannot and should not remove history. Thirty years ago I went to Dachacu and it leaves an impression on me to this day. What would some future generation know about the atrocities of WWII and the real Nazis if that is removed?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: