View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 05:52 AM   #23
Diggin Jiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
You would like to prune all your fruits when they are dormant but I'd say you can prune anytime before say May, really asap if you missed the dormant stage with the blueberries. Also you don't want to fertilize fruit any later than early June as you don't want too much growth to not have a chance to harden off before winter. I have often pruned apple trees for a second time after the fruit is starting on the tree to get more sunlight onto the fruit so 2 prunings is not unusual for the home grower. So I'd say prune them asap is preferable as the dormant stage is passed as the buds are starting to swell now. I'd say spray as soon as you can notice any green, any little bit, showing on the buds. Looking at the buds will teach you when. That is what I am going to do and then I will spray again 2 weeks later then that is it for them. Other fruits is a whole different ballgame. Most of the commercial guys go by temperature, degree days, and keep a strict schedule. Home guys are not that fussy. Your County Extension Service is a great wealth of info for anything involved with plants and trees and spraying and pruning, etc... For the blueberries I am after the winter moths and they enter the bud very early. I wish I could remember when I did it last year as I hit it perfect. I will write it down this year. I used Sevin. That is the only pest I have encountered in the last 15 plus years that effect the blueberries and only for the past 5 years. Before that I never sprayed the blueberries but if I don't now I get zero berries. I need to look at the buds tomorrow as I have been busy and didn't this week yet. Hope that helps and not too confusing. Paul
Paul, any recommendations as far as what product you spray your apple tree's with ?

I also have a peach tree that does well and produces a lot of fruit but a lot of the peaches get little green dots on the skins, should I be spraying them with something ?
Diggin Jiggin is online now   Reply With Quote