View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

I also prefer a SOT (sit on top) vs. the sit in type. As mentioned before, easier self-rescue, no need to pump, etc. Also, much easier to shift your body around to get good casting angles. You can even sit sideways (like on a bench) with your feet in the water and drift. In a sit in, your body is more or less locked into a straight-forward position. Also, SOTs offer better areas to keep fish and store gear (on top and not inside the yak). Many mounting surfaces for extra rod holders, fishfinder/GPS, etc. I think most SOTs tend to be a bit heavier though.

SOTs are not as dry for the paddler, even if you use scupper plugs, compared to a sit-in with a spray skirt. However, dressed appropriately (I wear a farmer-john style wet suit, booties, and a Simms drytop) I fish comfortably in as low as 55 degree water (prime striper season) as long as there's some sunshine.

I have an Ocean Kayak 15 Prowler and it's a great boat. Tracks very straight even when paddling hard (i.e., no side to side bow shift). I probably could have gotten away with a 13 Prowler (I weigh about 185-190). But heavier guys like the 15. If you're going to do rivers, you may want to consider a shorter boat (easier to turn) or a rudder, but it won't be as fast or as stable in choppy waters.

Ocean Kayak and Wilderness Systems both make great boats.

Good luck!

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote