Thread: Gun Legislation
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #144
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
so please show me how the Words support what the gun lobby is suggesting . 2a means

Ohhh I dunno, here is the Supreme Court's response:

Quote:
District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008),[1] is a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that the Second Amendment protects an individual's Right to keep and bear arms, unconnected with service in a militia, for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home, and that the District of Columbia's handgun ban and requirement that lawfully owned rifles and shotguns be kept "unloaded and disassembled or bound by a trigger lock" violated this guarantee. It also stated that the right to bear arms is not unlimited and that guns and gun ownership would continue to be regulated. It was the first Supreme Court case to decide whether the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms for self-defense or if the right was intended for state militias.[2]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think it's more about comprehensive reform -- not just banning one type of weapon -- and a willingness to see things through long haul.
That is the problem why we do not get anything done. Each step that is completed by the left is one more step in that law, on its Long March to confiscation.

Quote:
you guys keep mudding the waters .. I am not against gun ownership never have been .. I am against the idea that somehow the constitution says you can have whatever type of gun you want . mantra hidden by your unfounded fear there taking our guns...

the NRA went from gun safety and marksmanship .. to marketing and sales of guns as their primary driver

https://www.brennancenter.org//analy...waAiLIEALw_wcB

Today at the NRA’s headquarters in Fairfax, Virginia, oversized letters on the facade no longer refer to “marksmanship” and “safety.” Instead, the Second Amendment is emblazoned on a wall of the building’s lobby. Visitors might not notice that the text is incomplete. It reads:

“.. the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

The first half—the part about the well regulated militia—has been edited out.

Cough, see DC vs Heller above.

Quote:
there was an assault ban. for 10 years guess what party killed it

death toll from mass shootings went from 4.8 per year during the ban years to 23.8 per year afterwards.

it's hard to try and put the genie back in the bottle .. Republicans want to break the bottle completely
And it is the same ustable people doing it, so the unstable problem has not been addressed. Though overall gun crime and deaths are down.

Progressives want to STEAL the bottle.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: