View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #27
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
More important to have safety equipment on you...if the yak floats away with it all your pretty well fuked.

I got a whistle tied to my PFD and I want to get a small signaling mirror and a small waterproof LED flashlight to carry in the PFD. If I go in I'm more worried about them finding me instead of my Yak

Also make sure if you are going to go fishing in a yak....get a fishing Kayak. Trying to reach behind you and fudging with gear, or loading it up with gear, in something that is made for touring can be a recipe for disaster
Ironically I flipped my Fish n Dive trying to stow things behind me. Got sideways to a wave, that's all it takes. The young lady at work, whose brother is into yakking, chewed me out for not having a whistle on my PFD. I have a little strobe, too, incase I have to spend the night wondering where the Coasties are. Lazer is a good idea.
I think that familiarity with your vessel is paramount in importance. On a FAC day see how far you can lean it, deliberately flip it and re-enter, learn to reach everything stowed without flipping. If you can't reach the spot then that area isn't for things you'll need while underway.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote