View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #33
ed morini

Sorry for not fully answering your question (senior moment). The occupancy for a dwelling will remain intack at the time of sale unless the town has a policy of property inspection (other than the FD) at the time of sale. Most BI's stay out of the sale end of a property unless they see something requiring immediate attention. In the cases I have handled, usually there was no problem with someone moving in provided they didn't gut the place. Some level of habitability has to be preserved. To be honest with you, with the way present codes are structured, you would be much better do a remodel room by room. I say this because today's code ICC Existing Building Code will prevail and the amount of work that has to be performed for compliance depends on one of the three levels of reconstruction perfromed, if you hit level 3 (guttting entire structure)compliance with the IRC, Intn'l Mechanical, plumbing, elect and Enery Code (strecth code may apply here) will be required. Doing a kitchen will not cause a level three but you may have some plumbing and electrical issues. If any of the exposed framing is insufficient it will have to addressed, any new work will have to comply with 2009 IRC prescriptively or a structural engineer can desig what you need. I f you have other specific questions give me a buzz pm me for #
ed morini is offline   Reply With Quote