View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but republicans have been the biggest contributors to the national debt. Clinton took a massive deficit and turned it around to a surplus, then W racked on a 1.5 trillion deficit, which Obama has reduced by a whole lot, yet republicans seem to think that they stand for small government.
It's ok to have corporate welfare but we're all doomed if people are looked after. Got it.....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
You really need to get some facts before you form these opinions.

Deficit/surplus is just for one year, debt is the running total.

True that Obama's deficits are getting smaller, but he still runs deficits, and thus he is adding to our debt. He has added more to the debt, than any president in our history (maybe he has added more than all previous presidents combined? some say that is true, not sure).

Nebe, Bush added to the debt, but he had a good reason, he had to build a massive anti-terror infastructure from scratch. Maybe you remember 9/11. We can, and should debate the wars. Even without the war in Iraq, we were going to add to our debt to fight back against terror. Obama has spent all this money, and all we have to show is the slowest recovery, ever, from a recession.