View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 08:52 PM   #37
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
In 2008 Justice Antonin Scalia introduced another interpretation that gun proponents seize on to argue against gun control. He wrote the Supreme Court decision that individuals have the right to own firearms. But Scalia also stated, “Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited.” He approved of “laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.”
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
There can be some qualifications, but the default should be shall issue unless there is a reason not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Only gun dealers with a Federal Firearms License are required to do a background check before selling a gun in Texas, not private sellers. Texas has NO state requirement for more comprehensive background checks when purchasing a firearm. Therefore, persons prohibited from owning firearms can easily obtain a gun - on the internet, at a gun show, even from a private seller out of the trunk of a car.
In states like Texas with no state-required background check, research has shown that 57% of private gun sales were done with no background check.
Around 80% of all firearms acquired for criminal purposes are obtained through transfers from unlicensed sellers. Including the purchase of his firearm by the Odessa/Midland mass shooter.
Texans overwhelmingly (79%) support universal background checks.

But it’s a mental health problem
It's a Mental Health AND a Culture Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
what would the background check have shown in this case? cause to deny him a gun?

Chicago has tough gun laws. How’s that working out?

i’m not saying we do nothing.
Doesn't work in Chicago.

RI did one thing sensible, they recently changed it to the town where you live runs the background check, not the town where the shop is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Jim all guns in Chicago start out as legal guns.

Access and quantity are the big issues and the next are weapon types

Why does only the United States have this gun violence problem?

There is a reason and Mental heath isn’t that reason

Lots of stolen guns in Chicago but it is NEVER the criminal's fault.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: