Thread: Hull maybe?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
I've got a 2-man 'yak I use with plenty of legroom, and about 5-6 hours is about enough for me. Also, have you kayaked Hull before? There are some really wicked currents (and waves) near the gut. If you aren't an expert kayaker, I'd be careful before heading out there, especially alone....
I have spent 7 hours and found it very comfortable, but it might be because it's such a large kayak (hobie pro angler). I have only been out of Hull twice and had no issues except for one rock that I found the first time I went which gave me concern for future trips so I watch for it. I have a great deal of time on the water and try and stay safe and alert of weather conditions and wear a automatic pfd, have a compass, mirror, flare gun, air horn, anchor, throw rope with a float and teether everything to my yak including myself(I wear 2 knives so I can cut anything I have to in an emergency. I would actually feel somewhat safer in a sit in kayak which I know if I go over I can right without getting out (been there done that), the pro angler is a beast that I should take the time to make sure I can flip over while in the water to be more confident though. Thus far the only time I felt a little uncomfortable was out of Scorton creek with a malfunctioning rudder. I used my paddle to steer and cut through the rip which was 2'-3' waves and had no problem, I kind of got a kick out of the ride to be honest. I normally would not take on a rip/waves like that but did not want to interfere with the guys fishing the shore so I tried to get back in once I found the rudder issue and learned you cannot get back into Scorton creek when the tide is still out going.
I also carry an old vhf radio that is only good for about an hour so it's time for a new floating model and hopefully a new gps/fishfinder combo before the season ends. I also planned on wearing my wetsuit because the temps are dropping. Am I being foolish thinking I can handle Hull alone?
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote